I could use a nice slice of Black Forest Cake–it would indeed make the perfect breakfast!
Here are today’s five thing to know about Black Forest Cake:
- Typically, Black Forest cake consists of several layers of chocolate cake, with whipped cream and cherries between each layer.
- In some European traditions sour cherries are used both between the layers and for decorating the top.
- Traditionally, Kirschwasser (a clear liquor distilled from tart cherries) is added to the cake, although other liquors are also used
- The cake is named not directly after the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) mountain range in southwestern Germany but rather from the specialty liquor of that region, known as Schwarzwälder Kirsch(wasser) and distilled from tart cherries.
- Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte was first mentioned in writing in 1934.
The record for the world’s largest authentic black forest cake, weighing 3000 kg, was set at Europa Park, Germany on 16 July 2006, by K&D Bakery.
In the history of black forest cake, it was not…
View original post 213 more words