Well, now I want steak AND carrot cake, and I don’t have either!!! How can I remedy this and stay true to my, ahem, lazy roots?
Here are today’s five thing to know about Carrot Cake:
- Carrots were first cultivated in north Africa & the Mediterranean. They originally were purple or grey in color. Introduced to Europe around 1000 years ago.
- The weed/flower Queen Anne’s Lace is actually a wild carrot. Many say carrots were planted in colonial gardens; went to seed & soon spread across North America.
- Jello in the 1930’s offered ‘carrot pie’ flavored gelatin.
- People first grew carrots as medicine, not food, for a variety of ailments.
- Carrots are one of the rare vegetables which are more nutritious cooked than raw
Daily Quote: “I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.”
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1468 RIP Johannes Gutenberg, inventor of moveable type printing. Inspired by the screw presses used in winemaking.
- 1815 The world’s 1st commercial…
View original post 102 more words